Car seat shopping is not on my top list of fun. Simply because it can be confusing and kind of scary. This is why we love the Diono Pacifica Car Seat.
We all want our children to be as safe as possible. We had been on a search for a new car seat for our daughter after we received the Rainier (also by Diono) for our son.
We purchased a convertible car seat (from a well-known brand) just prior to her growing out of her infant car seat.
I stood in the baby aisle looking over every car seat. I had sat in ever playgroup asking other families what they used. The car seat we had ended up purchasing wasn’t bad.
It had good reviews. However, the thing was bulky and she quickly outgrew it now that she’s nearly four. Still, I was (and am still) not ready to put her in a full-on booster seat.
She might be nearing the required limits for that, but I’m not comfortable with her being out of a 5-point harness. That’s when we were introduced to the Diono Pacifica.
I have looked to Diono because, in the chatter of baby/child products, they are one of the top noted for their safety and design.
I also appreciate their website offering installation videos and further safety information about their products.
We’ve had nothing but relief in the “big girl car seat” hunt by finding the Diono Pacifica. Our daughter is finally safe in a 5-point harness seat we can trust that will grow with her!
The Diono Pacifica has extended rear-facing capabilities. It can comfortably seat rear-facing children from 5 to 50 pounds and forward-facing children from 20-90 pounds in 5-point harness mode.
The 5-point harness is such a big feature for me. I want to ensure our daughter is safe at all times in her car seat.
I have read mixed reviews about the SuperLATCH system Diono offers. I prefer it, honestly. I recommend taking the time to read your manual to understand how to properly install the belts in your car seat.
It has been great for installing easily into our vehicles. It can often be difficult to find the anchor for the latch system.
However, the SuperLATCH has a larger latch that is easy to grip, and the end easily snaps into the anchors of the car without issue.
My mind is also at ease knowing I can use the SuperLATCH system up to 65 pounds combined weight of the child and car seat.
Keep in mind for a forward-facing LATCH installation, once your child reaches 40 pounds, you have to switch to a seat belt installation. For rear-facing LATCH installation, once your child reaches 35 pounds, you have to switch to seat belt installation.
While I enjoyed the “on-the-go” feature that most travel systems have of the car seat fitting into the stroller, I wish we would have just purchased ONE car seat and had been done.
One of the best parts is that it will convert to a booster once our daughter reaches 50 – 120 pounds or up to 57″ in height.
By only purchasing one car seat that grows with your child from birth to booster, you’re saving yourself the time of finding a new one, finding a way to get rid of the old car seat and more than likely save some money as well.
Leading in Comfort for Our Child as She Grows –
Our daughter (nearly 4 years old) enjoys the extra-long leg support. She is tall for her age, and I like that (with the added support) her legs aren’t just dangling over a seat.
We also noticed that the sides of the seat near her legs were expandable up or down for added room and support as she grows.
She also loves the memory foam that the seat has for comfort. She used to complain about her other seat being “too hard”. With the Pacifica, no complaints with over a month of use.
Space Saver –
We drive a crossover SUV and while it has enough room for our current needs, car seats can make the backseat a very snug place to be.
This is another reason I prefer Diono car seats. They are compact enough for smaller vehicles, yet still, offer all of the safety features for our children.
Direct from Diono –
Key Features as Stated on Diono’s Website:
- Full steel frame and aluminum reinforced sides for unmatched safety
- Reinforced extra-deep sidewalls lined with energy-absorbing foam give Pacifica superior head and body protection
- Comfortably seats rear-facing children from 5 to 50 lbs
- The highest forward-facing capacity of any car seat in a 5-point harness: from 20-90 lbs (up to 57″ in height)
- Converts to booster mode for children between 50 and 120 lbs. (up to 57″ in height)
- Unique SuperLATCH system that makes installation easy
- Space-saving design allows extra room for passengers while providing a spacious interior for child
- Folds flat for travel and is FAA certified
- NCAP crash tested, the industry benchmark for verifying child seat performance in severe accident conditions
Additional Features as Stated on Diono’s Website
- Infant body support cushions and memory foam for added comfort
- Energy-absorbing EPS foam and side impact protection provides added safety
- Extra-long leg support for comfy road trips and multiple harness and buckle positions for a custom fit
- Safestop® energy-absorbing harness
- Additional forward-facing recline position to accommodate different types of contoured vehicle seats, 5 shoulder, and 3 buckle positions deliver a comfortable ride.
- Rear-facing tether capability
- The only brand of car seats with SuperLATCH™: with the Strongest Connectors and Secureweave™ webbing it provides an easy and secure installation
- An additional set of harness pads included using only when the child is over 65 lbs in the 5-point harness
- Expandable sides and long seat bottom allow proper leg support
- Sits low on vehicle seat for easy child boarding and improved safety performance in a crash
- Angled cup holder keeps a variety of drinks upright and within easy reach
- The cover is machine washable (we do not recommend one with an agitator) and dryable
- Rubber bottom grips for no-slip installation
- Industry-leading 12-year product life (from date of purchase)
Final Thoughts –
I am a Diono customer for life. As long as they continue to produce such safe, innovative, and quality products, I will recommend them to everyone. I used to gasp at the costs of car seats, but you truly are getting what you pay for in Diono products.
Plus, how can you put a price on the safety of your child? You just can’t. The Pacifica is a great choice for parents who are needing a car seat for their newborn through each stage of the car seat and booster seat use.
It is also a great choice for parents, like us, who are looking for a car seat that acts more like a booster but still has the safety features we want; such as a 5-point harness.
If you’re looking for a car seat that is sleek, can grow with your child, and has innovative technology in helping to keep your child safe, you’ve found a great one in the Diono Pacifica.
**This review is based on our own personal experience. I am not personally a car seat expert. I recommend you to please consult your vehicle and car seat manual prior to use. If you have any issues with the Diono Pacific, I recommend you contact the manufacturer.
Disclaimer: I received the Diono Pacifica Car Seat in exchange for a review. However, all opinions are my own.