Are you looking for a fun way to celebrate your furry friend? This Homemade Dog Cake recipe makes for the perfect special treat.
As always, use your best discretion when feeding your pet any kind of food. Adhere to allergies that they might have.
Our dog, Loki, loved this dog birthday cake. I whipped it up on the morning of her birthday without a second thought.
It took her a minute to realize that it was okay to enjoy it since I served on a human plate for her. She knows better than to eat human food without permission. Once she got over that, she was chowing down and giving me lots of licks with love.
Homemade Dog Cake Recipe
What are dog cakes made out of?
You can use ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Things like peanut butter, apple sauce, honey, puree pumpkin, and mashed banana are all safe for a dog without those allergies to enjoy. As always, these things should be kept in smaller quantities to enjoy.
What you need to make a homemade dog cake:
- baking soda
- baking powder
- peanut butter
- olive oil
- unsweetened apple sauce (Don’t have any? Use one pack of the kids’ applesauce pouches if they are unsweetened. Works great!)
- whipping cream to make the frosting
- dog treats to garnish (if you like)
How to make a dog cake from scratch:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients but the whipping cream. See the recipe card below for measurements. Mix all of the ingredients well together.
Set the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6×3 round cake pan with olive oil to help the cake not stick. Add the cake mixture into the pan and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Take the cake out of the oven and set it aside to cool to room temperature.
Add the whipping cream to a mixer and beat on high until peaks begin to form. This will make the frosting to top the cake with and getting whipping cream to peak can take some time. I usually have to wait for about 20-minutes for mine to be ready.
Once the cake is cooled and the frosting has peaked, you are now ready to decorate. You can add the frosting into a piping bag to decorate with or simply spread it over the top of the cake. Top with dog treats and it is ready to go for your furry friend.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream for frosting
- dog treats to garnish (if you like)
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients but the whipping cream.
- Mix all of the ingredients well together.
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 6x3 round cake pan with olive oil to help the cake not stick.
- Add the cake mixture into the pan and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Take the cake out of the oven and set it aside to cool to room temperature.
- Add the whipping cream to a mixer and beat on high until peaks begin to form.
- Add the frosting into a piping bag to decorate with or simply spread it over the top of the completely cooled cake.
- Top with dog treats and it is ready to go for your furry friend.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Premium Plastic Mixing Bowls (Set of 3) Sizes: 1.5, 3 & 5 QT - With Non Slip Bottom & Pouring Spout. For Healthy Cooking & Baking, Nesting and Stackable Free Bonus - measuring cup
- OXO Good Grips 3 Piece Squeeze & Pour Silicone Measuring Cup Set
- OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
- Bakeware Set, Krokori Rectangular Baking Pan Ceramic Glaze Baking Dish for Cooking, Kitchen, Cake Dinner, Banquet and Daily Use - Aquamarine, 3 Pack of Rectangular
- Kootek 42 Pieces Cake Decorating Supplies Kit with 36 Icing Tips, 2 Silicone Pastry Bags, 2 Flower Nails, 2 Reusable Plastic Couplers Baking Supplies Frosting Tools Set for Cupcakes Cookies
- Norpro 8 Piece Cake/Decorating Set
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are not always accurate.