Planning your Halloween Party menu? Edible Tombstone Cupcake Toppers are perfect to decorate your sweet treats this spooky season.
Using your favorite cupcake recipe, create graveyard cupcakes with just a few simple steps. Your Halloween tombstone cupcakes will be a great hit.
If peanut allergies are a concern in this recipe, Milano cookies are a perfect cookie alternative. As always, things can change but it looks like Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookies are free from fish, shellfish, tree nuts, mustard, sesame, peanut, sulfites, mollusks, celery & lupin. Just be sure to always do the research prior to serving to anyone with allergies.
Tombstone Cupcake Toppers
What You Need to Make Graveyard Cupcakes
- 12 cupcakes
- 1 to 2 cups chocolate frosting
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
- 8 peanut butter sandwich cookies (like Nutter Butters, see above for peanut-free alternative)
- Black frosting
You will also need
- Large open star tip (Wilton 1M Open Star Piping Tip)
- Piping bag
How to Make Halloween Tombstone Cupcakes
- Cut 6 peanut butter sandwich cookies in half.
- Using the toothpick and black frosting, write the letters (R. I. P.) on the curved side of each cookie half. Allow the frosting to set completely.
- Place remaining cookies in a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the center of the cupcake towards the outside.
- Invert cupcakes and press into cookie crumbs.
- Press one RIP cookie half into each cupcake.
These are easy tombstone cupcakes that will be perfect for any Halloween themed celebration. Plus, kids love decorating cupcakes and this recipe is something they can do with a parent or guardian’s help.
Do Graveyard Cupcakes Expire?
Homemade cupcakes, depending on ingredients, tend to have a shelf life of 1-2 days. Ensure that they are properly stored in an airtight container or wrapped with plastic wrap. This locks in the freshness.
If you place the cupcakes in the fridge, they generally can last 2-4 days. You can also freeze cupcakes for up to 4 months but do not decorate them prior to freezing them. Let them thaw and then decorate.
More Decorating Tips
Don’t think for a second that these Halloween tombstone cupcakes must look perfect. That’s the fun and the beauty of these! You want them to look spooky and haunted. Have you ever seen a Halloween themed cemetery that looked perfect?
Also, when using the piping tip, be sure you fit it properly within the pastry bag. I will be honest that this technique is probably one of my worst talents when it comes to baking. I can never fit it properly before cutting the pastry tip and I end up with frosting everywhere. It always better to trim off excess than cut too much off to being with.
More Halloween Themed Recipes
- Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Quesadillas
- Vampirina Cupcakes | Vampirina Cake Ideas
- Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with a Treat
- Binx Hocus Pocus Cupcakes
You will also need
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450 Total Fat: 29g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 426mg Carbohydrates: 88g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 30g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g