I enjoy attending conferences that are industry centered. What I don’t enjoy is running around trying to remember what to pack for a conference.
Since I believe we are both on the same page, I’ve created a printable and a list of ideas of what to pack in your conference bag.
Conference packing is already stressful enough sometimes. You don’t want to forget anything but you also don’t want to overpack.
When I am traveling alone, I prefer to pack as light as possible so I can easily get from point A to point B.
What to Pack for a Conference
- Notebook – This sounds so obvious but do you know how many conferences I have been to where people are completely lost without a notebook? Bring the laptop, if you want to, but a notebook comes in handy for quick notes and ideas.
- Laptop/Cord – Don’t forget your laptop cord! I’ve been there and done that. No one likes running to the room mid-session.
- Something to Write With – Yes, obvious but I often am asked: “do you have a pen I can borrow?”. Which is cool on the “getting to know you” scale but still. Just try and remember a pen.
- Sweater or Light Jacket – I am always freezing in conference rooms. It never fails! They clearly want to keep you awake. Pack a light sweater or jacket for the chills.
- Business Cards – These might be something that died out but I recommend still bringing a few. They are great to hand over to brands when networking. Don’t forget to put your photo on your business cards for a face to the name.
- Calendar/Planner – Bring along a planner if you don’t use your phone calendar. Often speakers will promote a book release, an upcoming event, etc. that is going on. You’ll want to stay involved even after the conference.
- Camera – Bring a small handheld camera with you. I personally love my Canon G7X. It’ll be great for blog post photos, selfie moments with new friends, recording for YouTube, etc.
- External Phone Charger – I would pack at least two of these fully charged. You never know.
- Glasses or Contacts – Don’t forget these as conference rooms can tend to be widespread. You don’t want a headache from squinting to see the speaker.
- Small Snack and Water – Keep these on hand for between sessions. Lunch can seem lightyears away and snacks and water will be helpful.
- Needed Forms – Don’t forget to print and sign any printed forms for the conference. Examples might be media release forms to use your likeness in photos.
- Hand Lotion/Sanitizer – The conference room can become very dry. I recommend having these on hand.
- Mints – Along with how dry a conference room can become, I recommend mints to help with any dry mouth as a result.
- Your Confidence – Bring the ego but the not so big ego you can’t fit through the door. Just the confident YOU that is ready to share and learn with people. Network, have fun and be eager to learn. After all, you paid money to come here. You’ll want an open mind and that big smile to welcome conversation.
Conference Bag Packing List Reminder
I have attended several conferences in my lifetime and I swear that every single time I forget something. I’ve been the person running from the conference room back to my hotel room in high heels because I forgot something. Not fun.
Print out my Conference Bag Packing List printable to help remind you of what to bring:
I hope these tips on what to pack for a conference helps ease the worry of getting ready for the big day. Relax, be ready to learn, and have a great time. Conferences are awesome and a perfect way to feel inspired.
Heading to Disney Social Media Moms Celebration? Check out How To Take Full Advantage of Disney Social Media Moms Celebration.
Purchase some of what you need to pack: